Israel admits a series of 'grave mistakes' in killing of aid workers

AFP

An Israeli inquiry into the killing of seven aid workers in an air strike in Gaza this week found serious errors and breaches of procedure by the military, with the result that two officers have been dismissed and senior commanders formally reprimanded.

The inquiry found Israeli forces mistakenly believed they were attacking Hamas gunmen when drone strikes hit the three vehicles of the World Central Kitchen aid group, but that standard procedures had been violated.

"The strike on the aid vehicles is a grave mistake stemming from a serious failure due to a mistaken identification, errors in decision-making, and an attack contrary to the Standard Operating Procedures," the military said in a statement issued on Friday.

It said it had dismissed a brigade chief of staff with the rank of colonel and a brigade fire support officer with the rank of major, and issued formal reprimands to senior officers including the general at the head of the Southern Command.

The killing of the seven aid workers, who included citizens of Britain, Australia and Poland, a dual US Canadian national and a Palestinian colleague, triggered global outrage this week.

World Central Kitchen has demand the creation of an independent commission to investigate.

The aid charity said, in a statement, "The IDF cannot credibly investigate its own failure in Gaza."

Meanwhile The UN Human Rights Office said on Friday that attacks against people involved in humanitarian assistance may amount to war crimes.

UN Human Rights Office spokesperson Jeremy Laurence said, "as the High Commissioner has repeatedly stated, impunity must end."

"The Israeli airstrikes that killed World Central Kitchen personnel underline the horrific conditions under which humanitarian workers are operating in Gaza.

"International law requires all parties to respect and protect humanitarian relief personnel and ensure their safety, security, and freedom of movement."

He said the suspension of aid delivery and distribution by NGOs including World Central Kitchen in the wake of the killings increased the "already real risk of more deaths from famine and disease at larger scale".

More from International News

  • Netanyahu officially asks Israeli president for pardon

    Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu submitted a request to the country's president on Sunday for a pardon in his years-long corruption trial, arguing that criminal proceedings were hindering his ability to govern and a pardon would serve the interests of Israeli society.

  • Tropical storm deaths top 600 in Southeast Asia

    The death toll mounted to over 600 from floods and landslides caused by torrential rains across three countries in Southeast Asia, officials said on Sunday, as relief efforts for tens of thousands of displaced people continued over the weekend.

  • Death toll in Sri Lanka rises to 159 after Cyclone Ditwah

    Sri Lanka's Disaster Management Centre (DMC) said on Sunday that the death toll from Cyclone Ditwah, which has been affecting the country in recent days, has climbed to 159, with 203 still missing.

  • Mourners flock to site of deadly Hong Kong blaze as 146 confirmed dead

    More than a thousand people turned out on Sunday to pay tribute to the victims of Hong Kong's deadliest fire in more than 75 years, as Beijing warned it would use a national security law to crack down on any "anti-China" protest in the wake of the fire.

Blogs